Organizational change can be a daunting task for any leader. It often involves drastically adjusting not only what people do, but also how they do it. Lasting change gets to the heart of why people do the things they do for an organization. Add on top of this the need to simultaneously modify these factors for an individual, team, department and company as a whole while maintaining high levels of productivity can seem impossible. In fact, research studies* suggest that up to 75 percent of change efforts end in failure.
Partnering for Success
Centric empowers clients by leveraging their strengths and resources while helping to navigate the gray areas, surfacing the hard questions and establishing the right dialogue to drive and sustain change. We use a simple but effective approach:
For change to be truly effective, the underlying strategy for change must lead to a sound business outcome.
Success cannot be predicted; however, we believe that steps should be taken to ensure the strategic bets and trade-offs are clear, the plan is realistic and the organization is poised to make the difficult decisions that drive value:
- Quantify the vision – Translate ambiguous hopes into specific expected outcomes.
- Plan – Lay out, at the appropriate level, the work to be done to achieve that vision.
- Identify breakpoints and alternatives – Pressure test assumptions in the quantified vision and plan, determine potential challenges in execution and identify scenarios, benefits and trade-offs.
- Build consensus regarding direction – Weigh alternatives and make decisions regarding the best course of action.
- Prioritize – Differentiate between what must happen, what would be nice to have and what does not need to happen.
- Establish Guiding Principles – Clarify a set of fundamental beliefs that serve as guideposts for ongoing decision making.
By clarifying strategy and helping build momentum, Centric enables organizations to embrace change with energy and passion.
What Makes Centric Different?
- We have deep, hands-on experience implementing enterprise changes in strategic direction, culture and operations.
- We leverage client strengths and resources to build organizational memory and sustainable infrastructure.
- We drive the right dialogue to enable informed decisions.
- We have broad management and technology capabilities to provide necessary guidance and resources.
- We offer a proven approach with tailored implementation.
- We focus on creating value, not just implementing change.
* ProSci’s ‘Best Practices in Change Management’ annual benchmarking study
Our Change Management and Leadership service offering is composed of an integrated set of capabilities that collectively address critical organizational change management and adoption obstacles.
The full suite of Change Management and Leadership capabilities include:
- Transformation Leadership
- Communications Management
- Learning Management and Training
- Organizational Readiness
- Resistance Management
We create a clear vision for change and build the leadership capacity necessary to align stakeholders, commit to the change and carry it forward to the organization across time, challenges and resistance.
- Strategic planning and visioning: clarifying strategy and vision for the change effort and developing a practical transformation roadmap.
- Change Management Office build-out: design and implementation of change leadership team, governance, methodologies and tools.
Centric helps to communicate the what, how, and why of change. We build a tailored, personalized marketing plan that is relevant, concise, engaging and appropriate. The plan helps the company identify with change and to begin to create, accept and adopt the new reality. Balancing broad organizational messages with those targeted to specific individuals / roles reinforces people’s mental connection with change.
Communication plans often also accommodate ‘two-way’ forums that allow for feedback and enhanced stakeholder engagement in the change process.
- Communication planning: developing a tailored communication plan to manage resistance across stakeholder groups and sustain energy throughout the change lifecycle.
- Communication execution: creating and deploying integrated, multi-channel communications across various forums.
Learning Management and Training
We deliver a role-based, scenario-driven, context-sensitive performance plan that allows individuals to get the right knowledge at the right time in the right amount. The plan builds relevant skills and information necessary to perform in the new environment.
- Organizational development and training: developing and executing programs to enhance desired capabilities and valued behaviors.
Centric ensures that the new organization is sufficiently defined, aligned and prepared to manage the new environment and execute on new business processes.
- Change readiness/impact assessment: assessing the impact for waves of change across various stakeholder groups.
- Change advocacy and sponsorship: Identification and seeding of change
- “Champions” or advocates across the organization.
- Operational alignment: clarifying roles and accountabilities to create functional teams that leverage internal resources (e.g., HR; PMO) as well as execute and sustain change.
Resistance is expected. We identify anticipated points of resistance and develop resistance management plans to address root causes before resistance occurs or evolves.
- Design mechanisms to identify and understand resistance: Employ internal feedback mechanisms to determine individual motivators, sources of resistance and where employees are in the change curve.
- Open door policy to all levels of management
- Intranet Q&A site
- Employee “pulse checks” and surveys
- Acknowledge and channel resistance:
- Actively engage senior business leaders to articulate the business reasons for change through deployment workshops
- Engage managers and supervisors to provide coaching
- Clarify personal impacts and expectations
- Reward and recognize successes
- Provide positive incentives
- Foster healthy competition
- Align goals / performance management
- Involve positive and negative influencers where possible in the change process