World Class Software Testing Organization
A New and Improved Approach to Software Testing.
The Business Need
Our client, a financial services company, provides leasing and payment services for the North American market. The client had always used a software testing practice of relying heavily on end users, or Business SMEs, in the testing process, and always tested just prior to releasing its applications to production. As such, testing was ad-hoc and unstructured. Sophisticated testing scenarios were not adequately covered and the lack of test infrastructure and test tools made testing more cumbersome to execute. Additionally SME test duties were increasing due to the larger number of products being supported. Finally, overall release quality was slipping as an increasing number of important bugs were making it into production.
Centric’s High Impact Approach
The client needed a more methodical and efficient approach to software testing. Centric was engaged to create an overall testing strategy that included setting testing goals, defining testing processes, establishing quality gates (entrance and exit criteria), and defining the regression testing approach.
Once the strategy was established and agreed to, Centric:
- Confirmed testing tool direction and made specific recommendations around implementation details.
- Began documenting application regression tests including requirements traceability, scenario definition and versioning.
- Implemented a method for test status and progress reporting.
- Provided a test team, lead along with a team of seven testers. The team ultimately handled testing requests from a group of five project managers controlling more than 30 applications.
- Created test data management tools to assist in complex test configuration and setup. For example, a tool was built that allowed testers to age select test accounts through various stages of late payment processing.
- Coached the client on how to manage the new test team and how to better and more efficiently manage SME business testers to handle a wider variety of complex test scenarios.
- Implemented better overall test tooling including requirements tracking and traceability, test data management, defect tracking, and ultimately automated testing.
Via the client’s more rigorous and methodical approach to testing, the following benefits were derived:
- New consumer financial products were able to be released faster and with a much higher degree of confidence.
- Due to increased tester training, education and a more comprehensive definition of system-wide test scenarios, business processes were tested more holistically across the entire transaction. Test requirements coverage and overall test coverage also increased.