In part five of a series on cloud computing basics, we share a recommended migration strategy.
Part five of a series.
Moving to the cloud does not have to be overwhelming! We have found our clients are most successful when they take a systematic approach, with steady eyes on the business need at all times.
Cloud Migration Strategy
Here is the process we recommend to make the move:
Discover: Understand the business goals and user needs.
- Define the project’s goals and objectives.
- Understand the key drivers for adoption.
- Explore the pain points for security & governance.
- Develop Use Cases and Proof of Concept candidates.
- Create actionable next steps.
Plan: Develop structure and deliver framework.
- Complete Application and Infrastructure assessments.
- Estimate Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and Return on Investment (ROI).
- Identify pilot applications for migration.
- Define Reference Architecture and Minimum Viable Cloud.
- Align stakeholders on success criteria.
- Create Cloud Enablement Plan.
Act: Create initial migration and business value definition.
- Build Minimum Viable Cloud.
- Migrate pilot workloads as representative use cases.
- Validate applications and operations on Minimum Viable Cloud.
- Build initial cloud migration team.
- Verify economic model against larger application portfolio.
- Map security, compliance and operational processes.
Optimize: Commercialize cloud program and support Organizational Change Management.
- Build program management structure.
- Implement security and governance controls.
- Mature the Cloud Migration Factory: Tools, Processes, and Playbooks.
- Oversee operations enablement and cloud service management.
- Execute workload and data migration cutovers.
- Enable knowledge transfer and support transition.
This is it for this series, but stay tuned because we’ll be back soon with a deeper dive into common cloud computing questions and challenges.
Have a question? We’ve love to hear it. Contact us!
- Bookmark the series’ landing page and check back each week for the latest installments!
- Read Carmen’s series on her first Artificial Intelligence (AI) project.
- Learn more about our Cloud Services.
- Have Office 365? Learn how to keep your data safe in the cloud.