Mobile Application Improves Field Execution Support
The Business Need
Our client was an electricity provider which utilized a large field organization servicing more than 500,000 customers across 6,000 square miles. The existing legacy application was expensive to support and did not provide real-time information on job orders or dispatch instructions. They needed something that worked regardless of network connection, improved access to real-time order information in the field and was compatible with a wide variety of tablet devices.
Centric worked with the electricity provider to develop an innovative mobile order management platform that leveraged core functionality from their legacy mainframe system. The platform also provided better and faster exchange of information between the field organization and company call centers using an integrated suite of desktop and mobile solutions.
Centric Develops Mobile Order Management
Centric’s mobile application development consulting practice provided deep experience in cross-platform HTML5 web development and system integration services. Centric’s extensive Utilities industry expertise was crucial in assimilating business workflows and application logic coded into our client’s legacy IT systems.
Client priorities were rapidly translated into clickable prototypes. These were refined through user experience design and technical integrations to SQL-Server and IBM mainframe environments in days and weeks rather than months.
Our client realized additional benefits that include:
- Enabled near real-time order access from any location.
- Eliminated excess work for call center teams to coordinate job dispatch changes
- Transformed route optimization to near real-time as new orders were received.
- Saved time and reduced mileage costs with turn-by-turn directions and GPS navigation for each order and electrical meter location.
- Eliminated duplicate trips to job sites with better access to meter and order details.
- Used mobile messaging alert notifications for time-sensitive events such as bill payment and dangerous weather events
- Empowered call center dispatchers with online maps of job locations and field technician locations so new orders could be assigned to the closest available field technician