This Magic Monday, we focus on positive accomplishments that launched on a Monday.
Mondays have a bad wrap. Memes and GIFs galore reflect how much we despise waking up on a Monday. But some of the most significant known accomplishments happened on a Monday. The Jackson 5, Hershey Kisses, and YouTube all launched on this dreaded first day of the week. So, if you need the inspiration to start your week off right, check out this list of Magical Mondays.
- On Monday, July 1, 1907: Hershey invented the Hershey Kiss – sweet!
- On Monday, February 2, 1925: The sled dog Balto and the rest of his team finally arrive in Nome, Alaska, with the serum that will save the town from being wiped out by a diphtheria epidemic.
- On Monday, January 13, 1930: Mickey Mouse makes his first comic-strip appearance in the New-York Mirror.
- On Monday, August 3, 1936: Jesse Owens wins his first gold medal in the men’s 100-meter dash at the Summer Olympics in Berlin kicking off a legendary career.
- On Monday, October 16, 1950: CS Lewis published The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, inviting us into the magical world of Narnia.
- On Monday, May 17, 1954: The U.S. Supreme Court rules in Brown v. Board of Education that segregation of students in public schools violates the 14th Amendment’s Equal Protection Clause.
- On Monday, April 20, 1964: The very first jar of Nutella left the factory in Alva – a small town of Piedmont, Italy known for its hazelnuts
- On Monday, July 21, 1969: Man landed on the moon. We wonder if it was Monday on the moon?
- On Monday, August 11, 1969: The public formally meets the Jackson 5 – It was as easy as 1, 2, 3
- On Monday, October 17, 1977: The Chia Pet filed their trademark registration, and green-haired Elmer Fudds soon invade kitchen counters across the country.
- On Monday, February 14, 2005: YouTube launched. Hello to a lifetime of cat videos!
- On Monday, July 15, 2013: Twinkies are officially back on the shelves after new owners saved it from extinction!
- On Monday, September 2, 2013: Sixty-four-year-old Diana Nyad becomes the first person to complete the 110-mile swim from Cuba to Florida—a dream she finally achieved after four failed attempts over three-and-a-half decades.
Now, it’s your turn. How are you going to tackle this Monday, and make it memorable?
You probably don’t have time to make it to the moon today, swim from Cuba to Florida, or write a novel (if you do, go for it!). But, you might have ten minutes to write one paragraph for that book, that report, or analysis you’ve always wanted to create. Sketch out an idea on paper for that groundbreaking idea you had in the shower. Practice playing that instrument or learning that language you always wanted to. Make today the first step toward a larger goal or desire.
Do it today, on a Monday. What better day to start?