Trading Partner E-Commerce Portal
Complex ordering is made simple through a comprehensive partner portal.
The Business Need
Centric’s client, a worldwide designer, manufacturer and integrator of precision motion control products and systems for products such as military and commercial aircraft, satellites, space vehicles, missiles and industrial machinery, needed a successful mechanism for selling specialized products and allowing customers to customize product details. To date, the experience was tedious, time consuming and error prone.
Centric engaged with this manufacturing company to develop an online solution and over the course of a year developed an overall project strategy, consolidated requirements model and implementation RFP. Centric was also selected as the implementation partner.
Centric’s High-Impact Approach
Centric engaged in a three-year project to deliver an e-commerce SharePoint portal functionality that included:
- A SharePoint 2010 foundation to conduct pure e-commerce for customers such as catalogs, pricing and order status
- Online processing such as ASNs, returns, pricing and status tracking
- Marketing support to leverage existing markets and expand to new markets, supporting B2B integration with customers
- Collaboration tools for project and process management, as well as content management and collaborative document management and sharing
- An integration layer (Integrated Data Hub) to allow multiple back office systems to communicate with all customer-facing components
Centric implemented a customer portal platform that provides scale and velocity, while allowing for a high level of flexibility and independence across business units. The solution supports varying requirements and multiple interfaces to separate back office systems.
The portal solution focused on three key Microsoft products:
- Commerce Server 2009
- SharePoint 2010
- BizTalk 2010
Centric integrated Commerce Server 2009 with SharePoint 2010 for a rich user experience, and incorporated BizTalk for business rule and integration management.
Centric continues to work with this client on an ongoing basis to provide enhancements and operations support to the portal framework.
The new portal platform achieved the following:
- Operational efficiency through automation and B2B interaction, reducing manual sales and repairing administration effort
- Revenue lift around standard components due to additional sales channels and geographic reach
- Mitigation of opportunity cost – electronic business-to-business interaction is becoming a standard requirement for long-term customer agreements