This March, Celebrate Women’s History Month
On March 8, 1857, garment workers in New York City staged one of the first organized protests by working women. Women’s groups internationally have designated times to mark this day. To add women’s history into educational curricula, a Women’s History Week was initiated in 1978. By 1981, the week was a national event, and in 1987, the National Women’s History Project petitioned Congress to include all of March as a celebration of women.
The National Women’s History Project has declared the theme for Women’s History Month 2013 to be:
Women Inspiring Innovation through Imagination: Celebrating Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
Spotlight on Women at Centric – Centric Women’s Initiative
Centric’s Women Initiative was launched on January 18, 2013 with the goal of building an environment of support for each other from a career or personal perspective. The shape the Women’s Initiative will take is still being formed and includes some interesting options:
- Creating small forums to share issues related to women in our careers, life and families, in which we can hear more from women who had similar experiences and challenges to the ones we may be experiencing.
- Providing networking opportunities for groups.
- Starting a women’s “coffee talk” in each Centric location or geographical area.
The Women’s Initiative recently held a breakout session at the company’s spring meeting in Columbus on March 8, which was International Women’s Day.
Spotlight on Female Leaders in Fortune 500 Companies
2012 was a record year for women at top positions in Fortune 500 companies, with 21 female CEOs as of January 1, 2013.
America’s two largest tech companies appointed female chief executives in the past year or so: Meg Whitman at Hewlett-Packard and Ginni Rometty at IBM. Another of this year’s high-profile CEO placements: Marissa Mayer at Yahoo!.
Other Interesting Reads
- The National Women’s History Project
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Women’s History
- Women’s History Month at the Library of Congress
- United States Census Bureau – Women’s History Month 2013
- VA – Women’s History Month: Honoring Our Nation’s Women Veterans
- Women’s History and Heritage Month at the Smithsonian
Mara Belcher is Centric’s Operations Manager. She also leads Centric’s Diversity and Inclusion team, which seeks to provide an inclusive culture that enables every person to reach his or her full potential.